Thursday 7 September 2017

AMMO by
Mig
                          Jimenez

Adie Roberts of In War and Peace evaluates AMMO by Mig Jimenez Primer 

ONE SHOT 

PRIMER


Now I am sure most of you out in the modelling world would not need any introduction to Mig Jimenez, his work modelling and perhaps his superb range of Paints, Weathering, Oilbrusher, Mud, Pigments, Books, weathering Magazine, Vegetation and now plastic kits. 

So let us pretend that you have just started out in this very rewarding hobby after looking after your family and suddenly there is all these new products on the market, brain freeze as you don't know what to use and not use. Well I believe in your own choice but you cannot go wrong with someone who has taken the time to actually test the products and see if they are any good. 

I am a modeler I do reviews and try to stay partial when it comes to doing reviews or tests on products. One lesson my grandfather once told me was "that you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of them all of the time" A quote I have handed down to my own children and hope they grasp it. 
Now like most modellers that make models and build dioramas I am always looking for the best results from whatever product that I am using especially if I am going to put pen to paper and write about what I am doing.
So on to this Ammo by Mig Jimenez ONE SHOT PRIMER, I am doing a review on the Chieftain Mk II so decided I would give the one shot a try. Now I have used many different brands of primer from all the modelling manufacurers and even some cheap car primer in my time with differing results. My personal preference used to be the white and black spray cans of primer from Games workshop though when I moved (and before the online shopping boom) I did not have any games workshop’s near me.

One Shot, I use an Harder and Steenbeck Evolution 2-in-1 which I loved till becoming disabled and started having issues with it which like most men I blamed the equipment, knowing full well it was not although I did get quite a lot of paint coming back up the needle.
I have since then found out that part of my disability means my finger control is not as good on the top mounted evolution, I cannot afford a Harder and Steenbeck Colani unfortunately so when at Telford last year I saw a very basic cheap air brush that had a trigger handle.
Three months ago I managed to find a brand new one of these cheap airbrushes and purchased it. The first time I used it was on a Magach using Vallejo primer polyurethane, it was quite awful through this airbrush and I had that sinking feeling of you only get what pay.


So when it came to the build of the Chieftain I decided I would give it ago again (the airbrush) using the one shot primer I used four or five drops and I did not thin it and sprayed straight out of the cheap trigger sprayer. Oh My God while spraying the results were looking superb really superb I carried on till I had finished the lower hull, stopped spraying, went to fetch my trusty Cannon Eos camera. I thought that if there were any blemishes this would pick it out as it has several million times. You know when you have finished a piece of painting thinking this looks great, then when you have the picture, its like oh my god I have made a real pigs ear of this.

So picture taken I rushed to the pc and loaded the pictures and was completely astounded the I did have to do a double take to see if I had looked at the wrong way. The results were so much better than I could have imagined it had coated it really well all the detail was still as visible as if I had not used any primer. I immediately went back to the spray booth and sprayed the turret wheels and various other parts all with the same results.
The primer was touch dry in a very quick time and certainly very hard wearing no rubbing off.

I have used it on several other products now and will be using it all the time as my main primer. If you are not using the one shot primer please do give it a try I am sure you will be happy with the results and maybe amazed just like I was.






I will be doing a lot more tests on Ammo of Mig paints and will keep you up dated on those that I do and will of course give you an honest appraisal of them.   





Till next time on blogger, twitter and facebook "Happy Modelling" 

Adie Roberts In War and Peace 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home